Monday 3 June 2013

Intro

Introduction

I have always been fascinated and drawn to dogs. They are my favorite animals. Some day I will have one or more of my own. During my time in the German army, which is almost 3,5 years ago, I seriously considered staying in the army and starting a career in the dog squad division. However, I soon enough realized that I had other dreams and aims in my life and that I - at some point in life - will be able to have a dog as a pet. Now that I have finished my first Bachelor Degree in International Hospitality Management and will write a second Bachelor Degree starting this winter, I decided to use my 3 months long semester holidays and try some thing I have never done before, with no direct relation to the hotel industry and combining my interests that have been neglected, so far.

On workaway.info I eventually found what I was looking for - a voluntarily job opportunity on a Husky Farm in Finland. At some point later I will introduce the Husky Farm in more detail.
After several emails and after completing the very excessive but informative and  professional questionnaire, I got the message that I had been accepted. From that point on I was in very close contact with Ciara, the organizer for the volunteers for the Husky Farm, who has been a great help.

Two weeks ago, I booked the journey. I will be travelling to Hamburg by Bus (14.06) and will hopefully stay overnight at either my uncle's place or at my cousin's newly build "project". The next day (15.06) I will travel from Hamburg Central Station to Stockholm Central Station and after a four hour stop-over, the journey will continue over-night to Kiruna. I will then arrive at Kiruna Central Station at noon the following day (16.06), and get the bus to Karesuando. Once there, someone from the farm will collect me and I can hopefully have a good night's sleep before I start my training on 17 June. So excited!!!
I found most of the information on how to travel to Finland in the Husky Farm's Guide Manual and on the website 'The man on seat 61...' created by Mark Smith. Thanks Mark and all the best on your future travels ;-) !!!
http://www.seat61.com/Finland.htm#.Uazk8tI3DTf

Now that I have explained the 'why?' and the 'how?' people have been asking me about, and planned all my journey (which in future might be a good advise for other people seeking or planning a similar adventure), I can start packing. I already bought some gear from a near by army shop and will gather the rest of my gear over the next few days.

However, this is the plan and I will update on the packing with some detailed information and a photo or two.

gnight


No comments:

Post a Comment